January 2019 – “My Leadership Journey…”
The Leader of the 2018 LJ Library of the Year. The 2017 LJ Librarian of the Year. Current and past PLA and CLA Presidents. Leading educators/influencers from California’s library schools. Numerous LJ Movers and Shakers. Directors of IMLS National Medal-winning libraries. Member of the California Library Services Board. Emerging young library leaders. Come and hear a diverse group of library leaders talk about their leadership journey. Where they came from and how they got to where they are now. How they define “leadership”. Successes. Failures. What keeps them up at night. How they deal with politics on the job. How they have used mentors. And whatever you might want to ask them. No Power Points, just straight talk from some of the people who influence the California library community.
South edition – Pasadena Public Library, January 17, 2019
– Misty Jones, Library Director, San Diego Public Library
– John Szabo, City Librarian, Los Angeles Public Library
– Sarah Roberts, Assistant Professor, UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Science
– Paymaneh Maghsoudi, Director of Library Services, Whittier Public Library
– Genesis Hansen, Director of Library and Cultural Services, Mission Viejo Library
– Dedria Tillett, Library Assistant, Riverside City Public Library
– Michelle Perera, Director of Libraries and Information Services, Pasadena Public Library & CLA President
North edition – Campbell, SCCL HQ, January 18, 2019
– Jill Bourne, City Librarian, San Jose Public Library
– Michael Lambert, Acting City Librarian, San Francisco Public Library
– Sandy Hirsh, Dean, San Jose State University iSchool
– Chris Brown, Deputy Director, Santa Clara County Library District
– Robyn McCreight, Supervising Librarian, Santa Clara County Library District
– Monique LeConge Ziesenhenne, Director of Libraries and Community Services, City of Palo Alto & PLA President
Programs moderated by Robert Karatsu, DLCL Project Manager.
These programs will be offered once in north and once in the south and open to all.
February 2019 – “Skill Building for Library Leaders” Skill Building for Library Leaders Flyer
February 19th – 9am – 4pm, Buena Vista Branch, Burbank Public Library
February 20th – 9am – 4pm, Fremont Branch, Alameda County Library
Cheryl Gould, Learning Facilitator Fully Engaged Libraries.
Leaders have always required both competence and vision. The best leaders exhibit high emotional intelligence, build trust through great communication, and are flexible enough to change their leadership style to get their desired outcome. In this workshop attendees will learn and practice in the following areas:
– Emotional intelligence and how to build it
– Six leadership styles to use to motivate your teams
– Current brain science that makes communication challenging
– Practice the skills that result in communication that builds trust, builds teams and fosters engagement.
This workshop will be practical, challenging and fun so come prepared to participate as you learn about yourself and others as part of your leadership journey.
Register for Burbank Program: Sorry, but at this time, this program is full.
Register for Fremont Program: Program registration now closed.
Because of interactive nature, this session (offered in both north and south) will be limited to the DLCL cohort and approximated 15 other attendees.